October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Southampton Hospital and the Coalition for Women’s Cancers at the Hospital have several events planned throughout the month to increase awareness and raise funds to support local breast cancer survivors.
1. Kickoff BCA Month during the Pink Ribbon Tree Lighting on Wednesday, October 1st at 6:30 p.m. at Southampton Chamber of Commerce (76 Main Street, Southampton). Coalition for Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital, Southampton Chamber of Commerce, and the Town and Village of Southampton are hosting the event. For more information, contact Karen Connolly at 631-283-8707.
2. On Friday, October 3rd, join the Hospital for a Breast Cancer Awareness Health Fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Most Holy Trinity Church (57 Buell Lane, East Hampton). Health insurance should not stop a person from getting the best preventative care. If you do not have health insurance, attend the event and sign up for a free clinical breast examination, Pap smear and mammogram. For more information, call 631-726-8715.
3. A portion of the proceeds from the San Gennaro Feast of the Hamptons (www.sangennarofeastofthehamptons.com) on Saturday October 4th and Sunday, October 5th will benefit the Coalition for Women’s Cancers. The Feast will be held at Good Ground Road in Hampton Bays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and feature Italian food specialties, local vendors, and entertainment.
4. Join Southampton Hospital for a special evening honoring New York breast cancer survivors and make their dream vacations a reality during Jetting Pink Across America on Monday, October 6th from 5 to 9 p.m. at Anejo Tribeca Restaurant (301 Church Street, New York City, 212-920-6270, sendmeonvacation.org). All proceeds will benefit Send Me On Vacation, whose mission is to provide a much needed vacation to women with cancer who have undergone treatment and need a place to rejuvenate and heal their body, mind and spirit.
5. The 4th Annual Breast Cancer Summit is on Tuesday, October 7th from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Coral House (70 Milburn Avenue, Baldwin, www.breastcancersummit.com). Find out about the latest in breast cancer detection and treatment from the experts and enjoy a lecture from this year’s celebrity keynote speaker, actress and President of Cancer Schmancer, Fran Drescher.
6. Southampton Hospital is holding a kickoff for their Give Where You Live Campaign on Wednesday, October 8th at 4 p.m. at Parrish Memorial Hall (Herrick Road and Lewis Street, Southampton). The campaign is designed to create awareness about the need for support to our East End charitable organizations, which support our family, friends, neighbors, and natural resources. For more information, call 631-726-8715.
7. Southampton Hospital is hosting Look Good, Feel Better on Tuesday, October 14th from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Hampton Bays Library (52 Ponquogue Avenue, Hampton Bays). The free program teaches beauty techniques to women who are actively undergoing cancer treatments, to help them combat the appearance-related side effects of radiation and chemotherapy. Wigs are also supplied if needed. To register, call 800-227-2345.
8. The Shelter Island 5K Run/Walk is on Saturday, October 18th at 11 a.m. at Crescent Beach on Shelter Island. Proceeds from the race are dispersed between the North Fork Breast Health Coalition and the Coalition for Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital. The event will also include a raffle to benefit Lucia’s Angels. For more information, visit (www.shelterislandrun.com).
9. Admire and purchase birdhouses designed by local artists during the Birdhouse Auction on Saturday, October 18th at 6 p.m. at Southampton Social Club (256 Elm Street, Southampton). Proceeds will benefit the Coalition for Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital and Lucia’s Angels. Tickets are $50 in advance or $60 at the door. For more information, contact Susie Barry Roden at 631-726-8715 or sroden[email protected].
10. Shop for the cause at Calypso St. Barth (21 Newtown Lane, East Hampton) on Thursday, October 23rd from 5 to 7 p.m. The Hamptons Boutique will donate a percentage of sales to Lucia’s Angels.
11. On Friday, October 24th, breast cancer survivors can receive Free Makeovers at Macy’s (190 West Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays) from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information and appointments, call 631-728-5500, and then press 2 for departments, press 1 for cosmetics, and then choose the counter you would like to book with.
12. If you missed the first Breast Cancer Awareness Health Fair, another is being held on Friday, November 7th from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Most Holy Trinity Church (57 Buell Lane, East Hampton). For more information, call 631-726-8715.
13. The Chicks with Sticks Yarn & Craft Sale will take place on Saturday, November 8th from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Parrish Memorial Hall (Herrick Road and Lewis Street, Southampton). The benefit will feature knits, crochets, and crafts with proceeds benefiting the Coalition for Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital. For more information, contact Susie Barry Roden at 631-726-8715 or [email protected].