Coopers Beach in Southampton has once again earned a spot on Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches in the United States list. While the popular Hamptons beach lost the top spot to Florida’s Siesta Beach, it did respectably earn the fifth spot on the list. Dr. Beach (A.K.A. Dr. Stephen Leatherman) has been ranking the U.S.’s beaches since 1991, and Coopers Beach has been named to the list several years.
Dr. Beach’s 2017 Top 10 Beaches:
1. Siesta Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
2. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
3. Ocracoke Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina
4. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
5. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
6. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina.
“Coopers Beach is located on the south shore of Long Island, New York, shielded from the cold Labrador currents in the beautiful village of Southampton. As the first ‘Gold Coast’ in the country, Coopers Beach is hundreds of yards wide, made of grainy white quartz sand,” notes Dr. Beach’s website. “The beach is backed by large sand dunes covered by American beach grass interspersed with large and extravagant mansions. Some of the best beach access in the Hamptons exists on Coopers Beach, and a snack bar serving lunch and drinks can be found here as well.”