Dr. Stephen Leatherman (A.K.A. Dr. Beach) has released his 2018 Top 10 Beaches in the United States list, and once again, Coopers Beach in Southampton has made the cut. For the 2018 iteration, Coopers moved up a spot from the previous year, earning the number four slot. However, it was Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii that earned top honors.
“Kapalua is a perfect beach for swimming and snorkeling in the clear, azure waters that are protected by two headlands formed long ago by lava flows into the sea. This beautiful crescent-shaped, white sand beach is bounded by these rocky anchors where good restaurants can be found,” Dr. Beach lauded his top pick. “The fine coral sand beach slopes gradually into the deeper water where the rocky bottom is punctuated with corals that attract vividly-colored tropical fish. You can buy fish food and rent snorkeling gear at the concession hut on the north end of the beach.”
Dr. Beach’s 2018 Top 10 Beaches:
1. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
3. Grayton Beach State Park Florida panhandle
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
6. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outerbanks of North Carolina
7. Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
To rank the beaches, Dr. Beach reviews 50 different criteria, which include water and sand quality as well as safety and management.
And, don’t forget, whenever you need a quick dose of the beautiful Hamptons beach, you can do so without leaving your home by visiting the Hamptons.com Coopers Beach camera here: Hamptons.com.