Once again Coopers Beach in Southampton has earned a spot on Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches. The top honors for the 2020 edition went to Grayton Beach State Park in Florida – and Coopers earned a respectable mention in the third spot.
“Coopers Beach is located on the south shore of Long Island, New York, shielded from the cold Labrador currents in the beautiful village of Southampton. As the first ‘Gold Coast’ in the country, Coopers Beach is hundreds of yards wide, made of grainy white quartz sand,” Dr. Beach said. “The beach is backed by large sand dunes covered by American beach grass interspersed with large and extravagant mansions. Some of the best beach access in the Hamptons exists on Coopers Beach, and a snack bar serving lunch and drinks can be found here as well.”
In 2019 and 2018, Coopers took home the fourth spot on the Top 10 Beaches List, while in 2017 it came in at fifth.
Top 10 Beaches 2020:
1. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
2. Ocracoke Lifeguard Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
4. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
5. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
7. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Dr. Leatherman, a Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University, reviews contenders by evaluating 50 different aspects, which include water and sand quality as well as safety and management.
And, don’t forget, whenever you need a quick dose of the beautiful Hamptons beach, you can do so without leaving your home by visiting the Hamptons.com Coopers Beach camera here: Hamptons.com.
For more information about the Top 10 Beaches, visit www.drbeach.org.