Coopers Beach in Southampton has consistently earned a spot on Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches list. Last year, it was third – and on the 2021 list, it took home the second spot.
Dr. Beach, one of the world’s foremost beach experts, awarded the top spot to Hapuna Beach State Park in Hawaii.
Coopers was lauded for its “hundreds of yards wide, made of grainy white quartz sand. The beach is backed by large sand dunes covered by American beach grass interspersed with extravagant mansions. Some of the best beach access in the Hamptons exists on Coopers Beach; a snack bar serving lunch and drinks can be found here as well.”
The Top 10 Beaches 2021:
1. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
2. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
3. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
4. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
5. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina.
6. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin Clearwater, Florida
8. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
For more than 30 years, Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman – AKA Dr. Beach, a Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University, has been reviewing contenders by evaluating 50 different aspects, which include water and sand quality as well as safety and management.
And, don’t forget, whenever you need a quick dose of the beautiful Hamptons beach, you can do so without leaving your home by visiting the Hamptons.com Coopers Beach camera.