Recipe by: Executive Chef Nicholas Vogel, The Restaurant at Baron’s Cove
- Run mussels under cold water for 5 minutes and drain and put on a paper towel lined plate
- Cut cherry tomatoes, shallots, & herbs, set aside.
- Boil 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar, add in 2 stalks of lemon grass crushed instead of cut – this releases more oil. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add butter & shallots. Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium heat, then add tomatoes.
- Gently crush tomatoes with tongs or a spoon, season with salt & pepper.
- Add mussels and toss gently, add coconut milk, lemongrass simple syrup, & sriracha. Cover with lid, turn heat on high.
- After about 5 minutes all the mussels should be open if not return lid, until done. If any do not open after 5-8 minutes, discard.
- Check the seasoning of the broth, add salt or pepper to your liking.
- Add herbs to your pot, stir gently and serve!