National Pinot Noir Day (Tuesday, August 18th) happens to fall towards the end of the Hamptons summer BBQ season. If you’re like us and love to break out the grill, impress barbecue guests by creating your own sauce.
Simi Sonoma County Pinot Noir Barbecue Sauce:
Yields 4 cups
1. Using a deep pot large enough to hold all the ingredients, sauté the onion and garlic cloves in the butter and oil over low heat until partially caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and juice, wine, and remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine.
3. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered. Stir occasionally.
4. Carefully puree the hot mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
5. Simmer 30 minutes longer, or until thickened to your liking.
6. Bottle the sauce or ladle into airtight containers. (Note: Will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.)