Boost the festive flair at any holiday gathering by adding a pop of seasonal coloring with a classic red velvet cake or cupcake. And, if you really want to go all out, green is the obvious frosting color of choice.
“The red velvet is a classic holiday cupcake and a surefire crowd-pleaser but the greatest reason to love a good red velvet is its versatility,” noted award-winning pastry chef Michelle Spell from Ava’s Cupcakes. “Red velvet cake works well with so many different fillings and toppings, it’s endless!” So don’t be afraid to get creative with you combinations.
Ava’s Signature Red Velvet:
1. Blend your dry ingredients in your mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the first 5 wet ingredients together, add to your dry mix.
3. Once fully incorporated, slowly adding food color and vinegar and mix well!
4. Scoop and fill your cupcake pans 2/3 of the way.
5. Bake at 350 for 19 minutes.
Tip: Recipe stays for 5 days in an airtight container, 3 months in a freezer.