While it is finally starting to feel like winter in the Hamptons, don’t let the cold weathther wreak havoc on your skincare routine. Here are a few tips from dermatologist and founder of Doctor’s Dermatologic Formula (DDF), Dr. Howard Sobel along with Hamptons.com winter skincare must have products.
According to Dr. Sobel to adapt our skin for the winter months, its best to use prepare ahead of time. When the temperatures start to change, you should also change up your skin care routine to go with the seasons. Switch you’re your beauty cabinet and fill it with hydrating, thicker creams that are heavy and more moisturizing than what you would use in the summer and fall.
One of the newest trends Dr. Sobel said which is worth checking out are hand held devices that are to be used at home. They can brush away dead skin cells to reveal brighter, smoother skin. He says products such as the Clarisonic or DDF’s Revolve 400X are very popular.
The most important product to use is a moisturizer with a sunscreen which is key all year long, not just during summer. This should be a top priority in your skincare regimen. With cold temperatures and harsh winds, skin is left dry, red and flaky so moisturize in the morning with a product that has a sunscreen and antioxidants and make sure you use a night cream that contains a retinol. Hamptons.com winter skincare musts include:
1. Clog Dissolving Cleansing Milk This Bliss ($28, www.blissworld.com) cleansing milk is the most popular product used in Bliss Spa facials for a reason. It dissolves dirt and makeup, digests dulling dead skin cells and as an added bonus leave on your face for 5 minutes for a cleansing and protecting mini-mask.
2. Aloe Cleansing Toner: If sensitive skin is an issue then try The Body Shop’s ($12.50, www.thebodyshop-usa.com) moisturizing toner which instantly comforts, soothes and calms skin, while removing impurities.
3. Amplifying Elixir This hydrating elixir by DDF ($76.00, www.ddfskincare.com) contains a blend of hand-selected ingredients, including banyan leaf, lotus flower and red clover extracts which improve the health of the skins moisture barrier leaving skin moisturized.
4.Revitalizing Eye Cream: Crow’s feet and dark circles can make you look a lot older than you actual age. Restorsea Revitalizing Eye Cream ($85.00, www.restorsea.com) reduces the appearance of crow’s feet and dark circles while improving the tone, texture, look and feel of the eye area.
5. Antioxidant Day Creme Broad Spectrum SPF 20: Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you should be slacking off on applying sunscreen. Meaningful Beauty Day Creme ($39.95 for the set, www.meaningfulbeauty.com) gives skin a daily dose of anti-aging ingredients to clarify, brighten and even skin tone while protecting with SPF.
6. Redermic [C] for Normal to Combination Skin: This velvety anti-wrinkle firming moisturizing from La Roche-Posay availble at select Rite Aid locations ($53.95, 82 Nugent Street, Southampton www.laroche-posay.us) plumps, fills and visibly reduces wrinkles.
7. Travel Daily Essential Kit: If you are traveling soon then Orogold’s Travel Daily Essential Kit ($218, www.orogoldcosmetics.com) is a must. It contains the 24K Deep Day Moisturizer Cream, 24K Deep Peeling and 24K Cell Renewal Night Cream which leaves your skin feeling incredibly moisturized. All three products contain 24 Karat Gold along with ingredients like Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Green Tea to deeply moisturize and rejuvenate skin.
8. Moisture Surge Overnight Masque: If your skin is in extra need of moisture, this non-greasy masque from Clinque available at Macy’s ($32.00, 190 West Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays, 631-728-5500, www.clinique.com) helps skin replenish lost moisture leaving skin feeling soft, nourished and soothed when you wake up.
9. Thermaj Self-Heating Body Polish: This Dermelect Cosmeceuticals ($40, www.dermelect.com) body polish gently removes dry skin leaving skin with a radiant, flawless complexion. Perfect for rough spots like heels, elbows and knees.
10. Instantly Ageless Kit: If you are looking to try a new skincare routine, this kit from Ole Henriksen ($48.00, www.sephora.com) available at Sephora includes a variety of great skincare products including a Truth Serum Collagen Booster, Sheer Transformation, Invigorating Night Gel, African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser and Power Peel. The products contain antiaging formulas for radiant, youthful-looking skin and after using the kit you will be left with cleansed, brightened, hydrated, and exfoliated skin.