A road trip with a pet can be a tricky feat, especially if you’re also traveling with children. To help you prepare for any upcoming summer traveling, Milk-Bone has shared their list of “Doggy Do’s.”
“If you’re planning an old-fashioned, all-American road trip over the long 4th of July weekend and don’t want to leave pup at home, then just a few simple tips will get fido ready for the drive,” noted Jesse Vasquez, Communications Manager of Milk-Bone. “Being in an unfamiliar place, like a car, for long periods of time can put your pooch in a nervous or uncomfortable mood. But it’s very easy to use simple, positive things like treats to ensure your trip is enjoyable for both you and your fur family.”
Milk-Bone’s “4th Of July Doggy Do’s” Travel Tips:
1. Take a Joy Ride: Was your pup’s last ‘road trip’ a trip to the vet? If so, chances are he’s going to get nervous when he hears your keys jingling. Before your trip, take him on a short ride to the park to make the car a place where fun things happen, too.
2. Make Crate Time ‘Treat Time’: Make your dog’s travel crate a safe and happy place. Do a “test crating” and reward Fido with lots of his favorite treats, like those from Milk-Bone or Milo’s Kitchen. Soon, he’ll be drooling every time he crawls inside.
3. Pamper Your Pup: Turn your car into a doggie day spa! Just like humans, pups feel most peaceful in a calming environment, so give your dog a back rub and play soothing music while you’re driving down the road.
4. Bring ‘Home’ with You: Because dogs like familiarity, bring along their snuggly blankets and favorite toys. On arrival at your destination, set up your dog’s crate and food bowls, stick to a normal feeding schedule, and keep your walking routine.
5. Spoil Them Silly: While on a trip, it’s even more important to reward your pup for good behavior. Treats build positive associations with new sights and sounds, and also remind your furry family members that you love them and are having fun!
For more tips, visit www.miloskitchen.com.