People come out to summer in the Hamptons because it so beautiful. Out on the east end of Long Island, there are the ocean beaches, the beautiful historic bays and mansions, thousands of multi-million dollar mansions. The old saying is “beauty draws beauty” and there are plenty of beautiful things; toys, women, and of course, men.
To write about some of the most beautiful men in the Hamptons, I had to ask my fellow women writers/reporters for some insight. Here are the results of this very amateur poll.
1. Hugh Jackman was right at the top of most lists. The 47-year-old Aussie, who is married to Deborra-Lee Furness since 1996, loves the Hamptons. He’s been spotted shopping at the local weekend farmers markets and usually does it under the radar. He and Deborra can usually be seen out and about with their two children, Oscar and Ava, in both Southampton and East Hampton Villages. A four-time host of the Tony awards, (he won one for his role in The Boy from Oz,) Jackman has also been nominated in recent years for an Oscar and a Golden Globe award. His natural rugged good looks land him as one of the most beautiful men in the Hamptons.
2. TV soap opera actor Mark Consuelos is usually mentioned as Kelly Ripa’s husband, perhaps way too often. However this native Spaniard (but raised in Illinois and Florida) can cause a ruckus when he enters a Hamptons Citeralla or chic restaurant. The 44-year-old devoted father of three met Kelly Ripa on the set of the TV show All My Children and they eloped on May 1, 1996. He has won the Outstanding Actor in Daytime Soap Opera award as well as shares the “Hottest Romance” award with Kelly Ripa from the 1997 at the Soap Opera Awards!
3. Actor/director/screenplay writer Ed Burns and his wife model/actor Christy Turlington are all over Montauk. They own a wonderful home and summer there with their two children, Grace and Finn. Ed is regularly seen at the usual local Montauk places like Liars Saloon, when desiring a $1 draft beer. Born Edward Fitzgerald Burns in Woodside, Queens, Ed was mostly raised in Valley Stream, Long Island in the Irish Roman Catholic tradition. With his athletically defined chin and full hair, the 48-year-old’s raspy voice is a weapon. A female bartender I know who worked at the Shagwong in Montauk confided that he is so good looking that when he ordered a beer, she froze staring at his eyes. Finally he said, “You do still have beers here at Shagwong?”
4. Lead singer John Francis Bongiovi, Jr., also known as Jon Bon Jovi, has been a rock heart-throb for over 30 years. Jon is the new “Lion of the Hamptons,” always being mentioned as the top celebrity at all the “A” list summer parties in the Hamptons. The 53-year-old and his wife Dorothea Hurley have four children and live in the exclusive Lily Pond Lane section of East Hampton Village. As part owner of the waterhole and Tex-Mex restaurant Blue Parrot, Jon is often seen there. A former Blue Parrot manager said to me while I was doing a story on the Blue Parrot, “As nice as he is, he is even more gorgeous.”
5. You cannot write anything about anything in the Hamptons without addressing actor Alec Baldwin. The 57-year-old’s footprint is East Hampton. As a prime supporter of East Hampton’s Guild Hall, the East Hampton Library, the Hamptons International Film Festival, Ashawagh Hall and the Group for the East End, Alec seems to love participating in many if not all of the their events. Sometimes a controversial figure, Baldwin has a charm side second to none. Once destined to be Hollywood’s next big box office star, Baldwin made other career choices. Now with second wife, Hilaria Thomas (age 32), and their two infant children, Alec seems to be showing a softer side. He also has a grown daughter with first wife Kim Basinger. This last summer, some friends from New York City were with me when Alec appeared with Hilaria out of the “Eastman Way” deep in East Hampton Village. Afterwards my friend’s date said, “He is really good looking in person, so much more than in the movies.”
In my decade of covering many Hamptons fundraisers, festivals, parties, holidays and other celebrity gatherings, I can honestly say there are some “really good looking” people who summer in the Hamptons. Sometimes they may be wearing the best fashions and other times they totally dress down. Here is an example: Astro Pizza in Amagansett serves up pizza seven days a week, all year round. One summer day a certain Beatle billionaire walked in wearing only his dripping wet bathing suit and flip flops to order a veggie pizza. The owner did mention, “Paul you should be wearing a shirt,” but did not throw him out since he is a regular. Or as he said to me, “Whatta you gonna do?”