Nothing says the holidays like a homemade gingerbread dessert. For the ultimate end to a festive feast try a gingerbread cake and poached pear created by Simi Winery’s Executive Chef, Kolin Vazzoler. The tasty treat should be capped off with a glass of Simi Sonoma County Chardonnay.
1. In a bowl, combine sugar, molasses, oil and eggs.
2. Whisk together.
3. Combine salt, spices, flour and baking soda.
4. Stir into molasses mixture.
5. Gradually pour in boiling water.
6. Mix until combined.
7. Pour into a cake pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Let cool and cut into serving portions.
1. In a large saucepan, combine, wine, sugar, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, lemon rind and juice.
2. Bring to a boil and add the pears, return to a boil and simmer pears until a skewer can easily pierce the pears.
3. Cool in liquid and refrigerate until needed.
4. Remove pears from liquid and place next to gingerbread cake.
5. Reheat the poaching liquid and drizzle over the cake and pears for added flavor.