With most of a traditional Thanksgiving Day meal featuring a variety of heavy dishes, a light salad is always a nice way to start. Chef Gail Simmons has created a Shaved Fall Vegetable Salad with Tea-Pickled Radishes that makes a great addition to any holiday meal.
1. In a medium bowl, combine the tea with the salt; stir to dissolve.
2. Add the vinegar along with the radishes, garlic and peppercorns.
3. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.
4. Drain the pickled radishes, reserving 1/4 cup of pickling liquid for use in vinaigrette.
5. Set aside.
Note: The drained radishes can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Shaved Vegetable Salad:
1. Pour the reserved pickling liquid into a large bowl.
2. Add the honey and whisk to combine.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Slowly add olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly to emulsify.
5. Add the fennel, apple, radicchio, celery, parsley and pickled radishes to the bowl and toss all ingredients together to coat.
6. Season with more salt and pepper if desired and garnish with celery leaves before serving.