The Oscars are this weekend and while you are watching all the stylish stars walk down the red carpet and win the coveted award, make sure you are drinking something delicious. Here are six Oscar worthy cocktails to enjoy during the Academy Awards.
1. Home-Aid This sweet cocktail which pays homage to “Silver Linings Playbook” is the perfect way to “self-medicate” while watching to see who wins the award for Best Picture.
Directions: Combine all ingredients with ice and shake. Strain into an ice filled glass and garnish with an umbrella.
2. Canadian Embassy: The “Argo” characters could have used this cocktail while waiting to be rescued in the Canadian Embassy.
Directions: Measure maple syrup into a glass. Add ice and pour in The Original Moonshine slowly, stirring to ensure that you properly combine it with the syrup. Add a splash of bitters. Rub an orange slice around the inside of a rocks glass, add fresh ice, and strain The Original Moonshine mixture into the rocks glass. Garnish with orange and serve.
3. Starlet: Champagne will be in no short supply at the Oscars, so celebrate like the starlets with this champagne topped cocktail.
Directions: Build all ingredients in a chilled champagne flute. Garnish with a long lemon twist.
4. Basil Hayden’s Parisian Bubbly: This simple sparkling spritzer was inspired by the scenic settings of “Les Miserables”.
Directions: Add Basil Hayden’s Bourbon to a champagne flute and fill the remainder with sparkling apple juice. Garnish with a sliced apple.
5. Django’s Old Fashioned: Celebrate Best Picture nominee “Django Unchained” with this classic cocktail.
Directions:Muddle lemon and sugar in the base of a rocks glass. Slowly fill glass with cubed ice and remaining ingredients (like an old fashioned) stirring continuously. Garnish with a mint sprig.
6. Cruzan Show Stopper: The perfect cocktail to sip on while waiting for the show stopping dresses during the red carpet.
Directions: Combine all ingredients with ice. Pour into a hurricane glass and garnish with pineapple and a dusting of fresh ground nutmeg.