Mathematicians all around the world are getting ready to commemorate Pi, the never-ending number. On Saturday, March 14th (3/14), try Chef Michael Symon’s ode to Pi Day, Knob Creek Bourbon Salted Caramel Apple Pie.
Knob Creek Bourbon Salted Caramel Apple Pie:
Recipe serves 8
1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Set aside until you have prepared your crust and Knob Creek Bourbon Salted Caramel.
3. Once you are ready to assemble your pie, roll out one half of the crust to fit the bottom of an 8-inch pie tin. (Note: Chef Michael Symon recommends leaving some dough hanging over the edge.)
4. Add half of the apple filling to the bottom crust.
5. Pour half of the Knob Creek Bourbon Salted Caramel on top of the filling.
6. Add the rest of the apple filling and top with remaining Knob Creek Bourbon Salted Caramel.
7. Roll out the second crust and place it on top, making sure to tuck in the edges.
8. Whisk together the egg and heavy cream until smooth.
9. Gently brush the mixture over the top crust.
10. Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown.
11. Remove the pie from the oven and let it set for about 1 hour, so the juices can settle.
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse a few times.
2. Add in the lard and butter and pulse again until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
3. While continuing to pulse, continuously pour in the ice water until the dough starts to come together.
4. Remove the dough from the processor and divide in half.
5. Wrap each half separately and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Knob Creek Bourbon Salted Caramel:
1. Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepot over medium heat.
2. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the sugar has completely dissolved and has turned an amber color.
3. Remove the saucepot from the heat and slowly whisk in the Knob Creek Bourbon, followed by the heavy cream.
4. Return the saucepot to the stove over a low heat in order to melt the mixture down (if necessary).
5. Whisk in the butter and a pinch of salt.
6. Set aside to cool.