On Monday, October 19th, Chef Andrew Carmellini was pitted against four-time MLB All-Star and New York Mets alum Jose Reyes during a dog-eat-dog competition, where Chef Carmellini debuted his special MLB inspired hot dog, in celebration of Sheraton Hotels & Resorts being named the official hotel of Major League Baseball. While Reyes’ classic recipe hit a home run with the crowd, Chef Carmellini’s gourmet version of the classic ballpark meal was also a fan favorite.
With the Fall Classic finally here, chances are baseball fans will be glued to their televisions, waiting for either the New York Mets or Kansas City Royals to be named the 2015 World Series champions. If you plan on watching all the games at home, why not recreate Chef Carmellini’s Cheese Dog with Beerkraut, Apple and Spicy Mustard?
Cheese Dog with Beerkraut, Apple and Spicy Mustard:
1. Place cheddar dogs on the grill and heat. (Note: They will taste best if you get a little char on the outside.)
2. Grill or toast the buns.
3. Place a cheddar dog inside, put a good smear of mustard, top with beerkraut and garnish the top with celery leaves.
1. Start the beerkraut by melting the butter in a medium saucepot.
2. Add bacon and onion, and render until brown over medium heat.
3. Add rinsed sauerkraut, beer and spices.
4. Cook for 15 minutes until the beer is reduce by half.
5. Remove from the heat and add diced apple and chives. Stir well.