September 18, 1985 was the night that David Letterman delivered his first of 4,650 Top 10 lists. Mr. Letterman may no longer be concerned about preparing Top 10 lists, however he certainly left his mark on all of us that prepare such lists.
Here is the Hamptons Landscape version of Top 10 Projects that can be Completed Before Summer:
10. Outdoor kitchens: If you contact your favorite landscape designer before the kids get out of school for the season, you can plan or build an outdoor kitchen to extend your living space. A Weber or Wolf grill can work, or a more elaborate food preparation area may be what you’re looking for to complete the pool area.
9. Outdoor showers: Outdoor showers aren’t necessarily the quaint and simple convenience they were when we were kids. However, the proper design will add convenience and style while allowing the sands of Main Beach to stay outside.
8. Decks: The choices of wooden decks available are plentiful. One of the more popular is imported from South America, Ipe wood (also known as Cambara Decking, Brazilian Walnut, Greenheart, Jatoba, Purpleheart, Massaranduba, and Ironwood). It has superior strength, density, hardness, stability, and durability. Of course, mahogany, teak, and other fine solutions are available.
7. Patios: Beautiful stone patios are extremely popular in the Hamptons. Bluestone is the choice of many and thought to be the classic Hamptons look. The knock on bluestone is that it can become too hot to navigate with bare feet. There are dozens of viable alternatives available. Speak to your landscape professional about the best and most attractive patio solutions.
6. Pergolas: Of the many beautiful additions to your outdoor living space, the pergola may be my favorite and the most versatile. Pergolas can be quite simple or multifunctional and incredibly attractive within the confines of any landscape.
5. Plantings: Almost limitless options are available to the Hamptons homeowner. From mature plantings to accentuating the pool and patio area with a few boxwoods, there is always time to spruce up your backyard space. A simple meditation garden may be the answer for a quiet summer night.
4. Fencing and gates: Privacy and functionality merge with the proper fence and gate. Bring your pool and backyard into compliance with an attractive fence supplemented by a natural fence to add to the ambiance of your private gateway.
3. Landscape lighting: Landscape lighting is one of the more overlooked details. The proper lighting can bring your home and landscape alive. Countless “before and after” pictures have demonstrated to all of us the power of stylish and appropriate lighting.
2. Tree pruning and removals: Maintenance of existing plantings is essential to your landscape. It is amazing how a little TLC can transform your yard.
And the number one Hamptons Outdoor Landscape project that can be completed before summer:
1. Enjoy the summer and leave Letterman alone when you see him wandering aimlessly on Newtown Lane (let him enjoy his retirement).