Although it’s sad to say, the chance for a summer BBQ is nearly over. If you’re still finalizing your Labor Day weekend menu, add a seafood option with Dave Matthews’ Band Head Chef Fiona Bohane’s Seafood Stew with Fennel and Sun-dried Tomatoes, which pairs well with The Dreaming Tree’s Crush.
Seafood Stew with Fennel and Sun-dried Tomatoes:
Serves 6 to 8 people
1. In a large pot (with a tightly fitted lid) over medium heat sauté onions, garlic and a large pinch of salt in olive oil, about 3 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
2. Add fennel and crushed red pepper, sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add bay leaf, thyme, tomatoes, white wine, clam juice and salt and pepper. 4. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce by 1/3.
4. Add clams, stir and cover for 1 minute (longer for larger clams).
5. Add mussels, stir, cover and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add shrimp, stir, cover and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add scallops, stir, cover and cook for about 2 minutes, (maybe longer) until shrimp and scallops are opaque and most of the mussels and clams are opened (discard those that do not open). Turn off heat.
8. Add basil and parsley. Stir the sun-dried tomato puree into the broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with crusty bread, lightly toasted.