Creating a romantic dinner to celebrate Valentine’s Day and stuck on a main course? Try an indulgent Truffle Mac & Cheese featuring three different types of cheeses, created by Chef Sean Olnowich of Bounce Sporting Club.
1. Add butter to a sauté pan on low heat.
2. When the butter is melted, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to form the roux.
3. Cook for 5 minutes to cook out the flour and whisk in milk.
4. Keep whisking until all of the roux is incorporated into the milk and forms a smooth sauce and reserve for later.
Truffle Mac & Cheese:
1. In a large saucepan, on low to medium heat, add canola oil and shallots and sweat until soft and add the garlic.
2. Stir and cook for 30 seconds and add heavy cream, and thyme and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and stir in the cheddar, gruyere, and fontina cheeses and cook until cheese is melted through and incorporated.
4. Add the béchamel, and cook for 10 more minutes to thicken the sauce.
5. Add the sauce to a blender on medium speed to make sure all of the cheese is incorporated and has a smooth and creamy consistency. 6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Boil a pot of water with enough salt that it tastes like the ocean for pasta.
8. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes til al dente.
9. Strain the pasta and add to the sauce.
10. Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes and spoon into 4 cast iron or casserole dishes.
11. Top with grated grana cheese and garlic breadcrumbs and place in the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until a nice browned crust is formed.
12. Place truffles on top and drizzle the white truffle oil on top and serve.